“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
George Bernard Shaw
You’ve heard the phrase, “There’s a fine line between ‘this’ and ‘that’.” I see fine lines everywhere. For instance, there’s a fine line between:
- Being ready for publication and being published.
- Having completed a manuscript and having that manuscript ready for publication.
- Having the desire to write and having the determination to complete a manuscript.
Imagine you’re a tightrope walker. The secret to keeping your balance, other than intense practice, is to focus on where you’re going. Look down and you’re history.
As Shaw suggests, there’s also a fine line in communication–that place where what you’re trying to say gets jumbled up with what the reader is hearing.
Are you getting through? Is your message clear? Writing on the fine line is tricky—but rewarding!
What you’ll find here
I hope this site helps you, inspires you, and provides the assistance you need to stay focused.
- Into the Edit: Occasional posts that look at one author’s writing before, during, and after my edit.
- Articles: Posts with writing or self-editing tips that will help you cross the fine line.
- Writers on Editing: Writers in fiction and nonfiction share their experiences with editors and editing.
- Quote It! Posts with a clever or humorous writing quote–and how it applies to life.
- Information about my editing services.
If I can help, e-mail me.
Michael Ehret, for Writing on the Fine Line
Mike, I’m tickled pink over your new venture and pray God’s richest blessings on it. I’ve loved what you’ve done for my writing over the past few years!
Thanks Ane, but, um, pink will not go with your hair … pretty sure. Writers like you make my job easier.
Yay! Mike’s up and running in the freelance editing world. You’re an amazing editor (I know from your work on my columns for ACFW), and I’m excited to see you launching this venture. Praying God’s blessings and favor on it.
Thanks Tiff! I’m excited to see where it can go.
Mike, this is a great idea. Now I need to get you on Seekerville to share it with the world! So are you going to freelance as well? Because you’re one of the few people I’d recommend to others and folks ask me all the time… What a wonderful venture, to take what you know (even though I make fun of you, but hey, I consider it therapeutic. For me, anyway!!!! 😉 ) and turn it into a great job. Love it!!!!
Yep, stepping into the Great Wide Open of freelance editing. Would love to visit Seekerville, but only if you have some good food that day.
Nice web page! I’ll be celebrating with you, not only the launch of this venture, but the first hundred clients that come your way! What an adventure!
Thanks Donna! It certainly is an adventure.
Blessings to you on this new venture, Mike!
Michael, I think this sounds like a great service! Blessings as you use the gifts God has given you.
Thanks Pauline! Hope you’ll come back often and check on things.